Friday 24 February 2017

CXVII. Swampfiends: Spawn Mother and Will o'the Wisp


When we last saw Spawn Mother she was a work in progress. Got her finished now, along with a Will o'the Wisp. With this I have the full starting crew for the campaign we're starting at my local club next week. I'll have to make Gupp swarms soon because, althought I won't hire any, I'll be summoning them during the game.

SPAWN MOTHER

Fish monster... I used the same colours as on the first Silurid.

Before painting I added a few bubbles made from balls of Milliput cut in half. The base was painted black, with lighter areas around the parts where legs and hand touch it.  I made ripples around the legs with Vallejo Heavy Gel. The base was then coated in several layers of Vallejo Still Water. The final touch was some foliage: flock, grass tufts and moss tufts.

One with a white backdrop. Some things are better visible in this one.
  *

WILL O'THE WISP

The Wisp gave me some trouble. I couldn't get the skin right. Originally I imagined it light blue with lights that have a greenish hue. Repainted it several times until I settled on this. Those wings, on the other hand, were fun to do. I liked the design from Will o'the Wisp boxart so I tried to emulate it.
It's supposed to have a glowing bum. Looks slightly better in person but still I see room for improvement. I'll try to do better on the second Wisp.

  *
I'll make a small display base for them. For now it's still in the planning stage.

20 comments:

  1. Fishtastic! Lovely work, as you always do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how I'll picture the surroundings of Innsmouth now !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, wonderful work! Great realisation of your imagination. I'd love to see some wip photos of the conversion stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some WIP photos here, but I don't know if that's what you're looking for: http://gardensofhecate.blogspot.hr/2017/02/cxiv-swampfiends-first-of-catfish-people.html

      I didn't take pictures while converting because I just sort of sat down and did everything in one go. All the conversion was pretty subtle. I clipped her teeth and claws, cut down her dorsal fin into a more pleasant shape. All this was done before assembly. Then I sliced off her feet and sculpted whiskers on her chin and upper lip. The idea was simply to fix the few details that bothered me about the original sculpt, nothing major or complex.

      Delete
  4. so good, what with this and Jakes stuff i am itching to create some fantasy.. i love how original your work is. colour photography everything about it feels unique to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you do make something, I'd love to see some fantasy stuff done by you.

      Delete
  5. I like the wisp so much. I never realized those little nonfunctioning legs. Not sure if adorable or just creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, those wisps are silly and creepy at the same time.

      Delete
  6. Lovely work! Added your site to my blog roll as I'm pretty sure I will get loads of inspiration from your work :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.